The Lock-Up or Round House

  • 1970. The Lock-Up or Round House
Archive Notes:

Photo taken around 1970, the wall was re-built in its present position in 1972.

This building was a temporary prison built in 1834 in the corner of the parish stone pit, where bull-baiting continued after its suppression elsewhere. It was built of stones out of the parish pit. The date 1834 is quite certain as there are details about it in the minute book of the Vestry, as the body which then ruled the parish was called. The Lock-up was only used as such for six years.

See article on record 680 explaining the background to the need for this lock-up.

Archive Number: