The Lock-up

  • Letter in the Newspaper
Archive Notes:

Article by W O Hassall in 1977 and newspaper letter about the Lock-up or Roundhouse. Contemporary press reports refer to them as Lock-ups and not as either Blind houses or Round Houses.

This building was a temporary prison built in 1834 by local mason Cooper in the corner of the parish stone pit, where bull¬baiting continued after its suppression elsewhere. It was built of stones out of the parish pit. The date 1834 is quite certain as there are details about it in the minute book of the Vestry, as the body which then ruled the parish was called. The Lock-up was only used as such for six years.

See article on record 680 explaining the background to the need for this lock-up.

Archive Number: