The Lock-Up or Round House

  • The Lock-Up or Round House
Archive Notes:

Joan & Geoff Young who owned The George Gallery in The High Street had this limited edition postcard printed. The first paragraph of the text is incorrect as it was used as a 'keep' for agricultural rioters during the period of unrest when there were many demonstrations across a large swathe of England against agricultural mechanisation and the equivalent of 'zero-hour contracts' for agricultural labourers. See article on record 680 explaining the background to the need for this lock-up.

This building was a temporary prison built in 1834 in the corner of the parish stone pit, where bull-baiting continued after its suppression elsewhere. It was built of stones out of the parish pit. The date 1834 is quite certain as there are details about it in the minute book of the Vestry, as the body which then ruled the parish was called. The Lock-up was only used as such for six years.


Archive Number: