The coming of the railway to Wheatley

Archive Notes:

See record 2741 for a summary of Wheatley's rail history.

The coming of the railway to Wheatley from C. Potts, Oxford to Princes Risborough: A GWR Secondary Route, (Oakwood Press, 2004).

From L. Oppitz, Lost Railways of the Chilterns, (Newbury, 2000), pp. 17 1nd 19, it is learned that the 1,584 feet long tunnel required 640,000 cu.yds of blue clay to be dug out. The tunnel was lined in 1883.

When the last train ran on 6 January 1963, five coaches long rather than two, there were two notworthily-dressed passengers, one in deep mourning, the other dressed as Dr Beeching. They were Dr and Mrs Hassall from the Manor House.

Stationmasters names found in a Kelly Directory are as follows. 1883, William Hancock; 1887 and 1899, William Wilmshurst; 1915, Sidney Charles Chesterman.

Map Address:
Related Items:
Archive Number: