95-97 High Street

  • The wall to Harris's shop was demolished and Barclay's Bank built
  • Chimney removed in 1977
  • Entrance to the left-hand shop altered in 1967
  • Particulars of sale June 2015
  • Layout of the three flats in 2015
  • Date not known
Archive Notes:

95 and 97 High Street were built in the 18th century. By 1876 they had become a shop kept by Joshua Harris, who sold millinery, grocery, ironmongery and medicines. You could even have a tooth pulled out for a shilling! Gilbert Harris continued to run Harris' Stores until 1952, when it was sold to Ernest William Eldred, also a grocer and draper.The business appears to have been sold to Allied Land and Blanchley Properties in 1966. It was then leased to J. C. Kelly, who traded as James’s Supermarket. Nos. 95 and 97 were then separated No. 95 remaining a store. The land began to be divided up and parts sold off. John Battershall bought both 95 and 97 High Street in 1971. 95 was then sold on to become a taxi business, later Alfred Truman's. In 1991 the O'Sullivan family bought 97, little knowing how much of the past would be unearthed. Liz O'Sullivan sold the house to Tess Harris. 97 has a full-height cellar in the back part below the kitchen.

Sale particulars from 2015 when No. 95 was three flats. 97 remains a family home.

Map Address:
Archive Number: