Windmills and Windmill Lane
"Windmills" was built, with its entrance from Ladder Hill, just before the first world war by James Algernon Brown, who had acquired the land in 1913 from farmer, John Chapmanfor £375. He did not occupy it all the time for, in 1921, it was occupied by Elizabeth Mary Leach and her two daughters, Lilian Vera Pencherta and Elsie Pencherta. Algernon Brown probablymoved in (again) by or before 1925, as seen in the last of the copyright photos. James died in January 1941 and his personal representatives transferred the freehold land ownership to his son Thomas Algernon Brown. In 1951 Thomas sold the land, two and a half acres, and buildings to Alec Robin Butterfield. There have been many other transactions since.
In 1991 a new entrance was created off Windmill Lane and the property was renamed Windmill House at No. 1, Windmill Lane. Two houses were built in its garden in 1992 and 1993. 1a Windmill Lane, now known as Windmills, and 1b Windmill Lane, known as Greystocks. 3 Windmill Lane was built in the 1950s.
There are two copyright photos, now digitised of the house, taken in the period 1925-1940, from the Minn and Buckler collection at the Bodleian, and one of the owners in 1925.