44 High Street and view 46-55 High Street

  • Postcard c. 1920 looking east down the High Street with the Railway Tavern on the extreme right. This became the 'Sandpiper' in 1978. It was nick-named the 'Rampant Cat' as the landlord took in stray cats. Later it became the 'Common Room', closed down in 1999, now a private house
  • When the inn was the 'Sandpiper'.
Archive Notes:

This was probably built in the first half of the 19th century, front much modernised. It became an inn or tavern called ‘The Railway’, not to be confused with the Railway Hotel in Station Road. In the 1871 census Eli Masterman is described as a labourer and beerhouse keeper. He had a large family of eight children. Hall & Co. were the owners at the beginning of this century, certainly in 1907 -1936. They appear to have acquired other local inns at about the same time: The Red Lion, The Crown, The Sun, The Kings Arms and the Cricketers Arms at Littleworth.

In 1983 Richard and Beryl Oliver, the new owners, gave the Railway Tavern a new name, The Sandpiper, and set out to make it attractive for the young people.In 1988 it was changed once more, to The Common Room It was also nick-named the 'Rampant Cat' as the landlord collected stray cats. Like many inns in Wheatley, Hall & Co owned this. Now a private house.

See 1240 for more photos

Men at Address:
Archive Number: