88 High Street, Greystones
This is an 18th century house, the only one in the street with a parapet. Extensive grounds. Drawing by Brian Cairns from Oxford Times in 1960. Plans can be viewed in WVA.
Listing details state 'House. Mid/late C18. Coarse-jointed ashlar. Probably central-stair plan. 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window front has plinth, storey band and a plain parapet above a band. Central 6-panel door has a simple canopy and is flanked by 16-pane sashes. At first floor similar sashes flank a 12-pane sash. All have incised keyblocks. Shallow-pitched roof is concealed but has flanking brick stacks. Interior not inspected'. However, an inspection of some of the interior fittings (see pdf attached) was made in April 2023 and it is suggested that some of these may date back to mid C18.
From 1917 Rev H A Adcock (retired clergyman) owned it. He had retired to Wheatley and lived at Greystones, 88 High Street. he was not officially attached to St Mary's Church, but he took services there and did other pastoral work around the village. He was a graduate of Exeter College Oxford. There is a window erected in his memory above the Lady Chapel in St Mary's Church. His son Herbert lived in Greystones after his father's death.
Above the Lady Chapel is a window' erected in memory of the Revd H. Halford-Alcock, who lived in the High Street in his retirement and ministered in the church, dying in 1922.Halford-Alcock owned Greystones from 1917 and died in 1922.