1-9 Bell Lane

  • Early 1960s, 1-9 Bell Lane
Archive Notes:

Early 1960s. Cottages on left originally part of the Bell Inn, open gateway at end led to Infants School.

Chillingworth House was an inn, the Bell Inn, before 1612, and it stayed an inn until 1862 when John Ring, malster, had to dispose of this in the 1860s to William Chillingworth and its related properties in Bell Lane in satisfaction of a £250 loan which he could not repay. The property was sold on the latter's death in 1908 to the occupier, Bathard.

Numbers 1 & 3 Bell Lane were originally part of the Bell Inn. It is believed that the Bell Lane facades of Chillingworth House and 1 and 3 Bell Lane were re-built in brick after William Chillingworth acquired these properties.

Archive Number: