1-17 Bell Lane

  • Press report 6 June 1908
Archive Notes:

Sale advertisement of property owned by Farmer Chillingworth, in Bell Lane and other places, also advert from Franklin & Jones for same sale.

Chillingworth House was an inn, the Bell Inn, before 1612. In 1690 Robert Robinson, who was a freemason and with his brother William Robinson repaired Wheatley bridge, owned a tavern at Wheatley called the ‘Bell’, the name of which is recorded on Chillingworth House. It stayed an inn until 1862 when John Ring, malster, had to dispose of this in the 1860s to William Chillingworth and its related properties in Bell Lane in satisfaction of a £250 loan which he could not repay. The property was sold on the latter's death in 1908 to the occupier, Bathard.

Numbers 1 & 3 Bell Lane were originally part of the Bell Inn. It is believed that the Bell Lane facades of Chillingworth House and 1 and 3 Bell Lane were re-built in brick after William Chillingworth acquired these properties.

Archive Number: