63-65 High Street
Notes on the two High Street properties as below
63. Once the old stables (17C roof), these were converted in 1927 to a saddler’s shop, later Fred Naish bicycle repair shop, and then in 1971 to a house, accessed from the walk through to the car park. Further back the old stables were converted to a house which still has the early seventeenth century oak roof timbers and incorporates windows from the Queen Anne Grammar School in Thame (demolished 1960)
65. Tudor Cottage stood on this site, an old stone house facing east and west with a side wall in the street. It was at one time occupied by George Stayton, carrier. But the Hanks family were living here by 1944, as evidenced by a Christmas greeting sent to Mrs J Hanks that year. In the 1960s, when Norman Hanks was living here, it was replaced by a modern building as a shop with a flat above, at first a bookmaker’s, then a dress shop, later a travel agency, now part of the English Language School, see 1132.
Photos of the Elfred family and Norman Hanks.
For the firemark on this building, see record 1583.