113-115 High Street

  • 113 High Street and 115 High Street
  • 113 High Street and 115 High Street
  • 2016. 113 High Street and 115 High Street
Archive Notes:

113 High Street and 115 High Street. This was the Chequers Inn which was trading as such in 1630 or, maybe, earlier. It had closed by  the time of the 1911 census when it was lived in by a Thomas Messenger, a retired jobbing gardener (Ancestry census pages 214 and 215). In the 1920s, 113 High Street had become a grocery and sweet shop. From 1926, it was run as a shop by Mrs Sally Keen (nee Gomm) selling groceries and sweets. In the 1940s and/or 1950s run by Bob Green, then in the late 1950s the Bowen family until c. 1961. The memories of their daughter, Leslie Bowen, of her school days in the Bell Lane School and of Miss Wren and Miss Flood are found in record 536. Later Mary Blake and Percy Blake acquired it for development purposes at least 1965 (see record 1799). By the end of the 1960s, both were houses and the Gomm family lived in one of these.

Archive Number: