Avery's Sawmill 1880-1956

  • Photo of sawmill chimney with explanation of the adjacent drying room and engine room
  • Sawmill in the foreground in front of the railway with St mary's Church in the background
  • Wheatley from Ladder Hill. The sawmill is hidden behind the hedge, but the crane can be seen.
  • Avery's timber-yard and sawmill c. 1910
  • Avery's timber-yard and sawmill
  • Avery's sawmill was on the right
  • Avery's sawmill was on the left (south of the tracks) and Ladder Hill bridge can be seen in the distance
  • 1979 map extract
Archive Notes:

A collection of photos and articles, including an extract from one in 1936 (see record 272 for the full article) about the workings at Avery's Sawmill from 1880-1956. Contrary to the family folklore that William Avery had bought this yard after spotting from the train, he was, in fact, the ternant of the Chillingworth family until he acquired the Chillingworth interest in 1908, see record 1156.

A 1979 map extract shows the timber yard still in existence if not in operation.

See 1814 for the later development of this area from Avery's talk.

Archive Number: