St Mary's Church

  • 1988 the congregation as shown in the Centenary booklet
  • 1988. St Mary's Church Guild as shown in the Centenary booklet
  • 1988 the Church choir as shown in the Centenary booklet
  • 1988. Bellringers as shown in the Centenary booklet
  • 1977. Congregation at St Mary the Virgin as shown in the 1977 Jubilee booklet
  • 1977. Sunday School at St Mary the Virgin as shown in the 1977 Jubilee booklet
Archive Notes:

2 Black and white photos of the church. Also two photos from 1977 from the Jubilee booklet pf the congregation and Sunday School, and four photos from 1988, as shown in the Centenary booklet, of the congregation, the Church Guild, the Church choir and the Church bellringers.

The site for the church was acquired by Rev. Elton in 1849. In 1855, the chapelry of Wheatley was separated from the parish of Cuddesdon and the conveyance of glebe land for the burial ground, and the land for the church and burial ground was sold by Elton to the parish.. In January 1856, an agreement was signed for the erection of the new church at a cost of £1,763 16s 6d. The architect was G. E. Street, who raised ‘a good specimen of Early English architecture’. The Church was built from Wheatley limestone which may have either been sourced from the Westfield Road quarry and/or from the Lye Hill quarry in Holton. The spire was built later by Holland of Thame, and has been described as 'unusual but very effective'. The bell tower has a Russian bell, gifted by Corpus Christi College, Oxford in 1920.The new church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, was consecrated in 1857. It is now Grade 2*.

Map Address:
Related Items:
Archive Number: