31-33 High Street, Mitcheldene
Photos, inside and out, mostly taken in 1992.
The building dates from 1648. It was referred to as the ‘Maidenhead Inn’ in 1774. In 1818, it was acquired for an endowed school under the will of Bishop Moss, and it was the site of the main school in Wheatley until 1858. The girls were taught in the main house and the boys in a building in the garden behind. In 1857 it was bought at auction by William Mitchell, grocer and baker, and the building reverted to housing and stayed in the same family until the mid-1990s.
Also 2018 photo of the rear of the boys school-room (owned by Mitcheldene in 2018 but to be 30AA Church Road) taken from the rear.
There are many other photographs held in the WVA.
Also, an extract from the 2008 Primary School history on Bishop Moss School, see record 2291 for complete version of this history.