Four photographs, an old postcard and information about Bethrapha, the retirement cottages for retired workers on the Shotover Estate.
This row of four cottages in Wheatley, known as Bethrapha, was built c.1880 by Mrs Miller of Shotover House. They were provided as retirement homes for long-service employees: amongst them, at different times, the housekeeper, cook, gardener, and groom.
Each cottage has two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs, and two rooms and a kitchen downstairs. Originally, the toilet was situated in a small brick building at the end of their garden. Most of the tenants grew vegetables in their gardens, as well as f lowers.
All four main rooms have a very attractive outlook over Westfield, towards Forest Hill.
See record 955 for other photos taken in 1908