50 High Street

  • Probably taken before 2002 showing the south-east corner of Station Road with High Street when this was a Samuels butcher shop.
  • Probably taken c. 2002 when Samuels shop was up for sale as was the shop on the south-west corner now a private house, 48 High Street. Also Rose's fish and chip shop
  • Taken after 2002 when Taylors had taken the Samuels butcher shop.
  • Taylors on the corner and Rose's Plaice fish and chip shop in Station Road. The letter shop had this use for a considerable time before.
  • Taylors on the corner and Rose's Plaice fish and chip shop in Station Road. The letter shop had this use for a considerable time before.
  • 2018 when Taylors
  • c. 2000 when Samuels butcher and Rose's fish and chip shop
  • 2000, Clarkes fish and chip shop in Station Road
  • 1988. Samuels as shown in the Centenary booklet
  • 1977. Samuels as shown in the Jubilee booklet
  • c. 2000 as the 'Wheatley Butchers'
  • c. 2000 when Samuels
  • 2019. Taylors
  • Showing name 'Harbour Cottage' and ownership number 616 in 1910
Archive Notes:

Photos of shops in Station Road - including Samuels the butcher - which later became the offices of Taylors Services.

The present red-brick shop was built on the site of charming cottages about 1900. In 1912 it was an unemployment office and, in 1920, the licensee of the Railway Inn rented it as a wet fish shop. Samuels the butchers took this shop over in 1936 and ran it until 2000. It is now (2018) Taylors building business.

Photo from 2000 showing Clarke's and Rose's fish and chip shop (in 2020 Mario's) in Station Road. The dwelling, 1 Station Road, used to be called Harbour Cottage and it had an outside privy which has since become part of Taylor's yard. The old maps show this naem and, in 1910, this was shown as 616 owned by John Fowler, occupied by Henry Nelms. The significance of the name is unknown.

Archive Number: