WHEATLEY Village History

Wheatley Hospitality (3)

Hostelries, Hospitals, and Hotels all offer shelter.  The Good Samaritan took the injured man to an inn.  During the Civil War, 1642-6, The Bell and other inns nursed and buried casualties at parish expense.  When the King reinforced bridge defences, Wheatley homes and inns quartered soldiers for a quartermaster’s billet (chitty), redeemable after victory. 

Continue reading

Wayside Inns

The old White Hart, Wheatley, 1822, drawn by James Buckler. It is on the site of the present Oxford House, High Street, opposite The Bell. The signboard names the landlord as George Crookes. Buckler also sketched the Manor House and 1795 chapel on Bell Lane. (Bodleian Library, University of Oxford,

Continue reading