1-35 Crown Road
Photos of Crown Road, taken between 1976 and 1990s, particularly Mulberry Cottage. Plans from 1953 for proposed improvements to what is now Mulberry Cottage which at the time was in the ownership of D W Morgan.
The semi-detached pair, 25-27 Crown Road, was built in 1939. 29-43 Crown Road were the four pairs of semi-detached houses, shown in a plan, built by Charles Shepherd in 1927 for his four sons Cecil Shepherd (No. 29), James Shepherd (No. 35), Frederick Shepherd (No. 41) and Walter Shepherd (No. 31) and four daughters Julia Shepherd (No. 33), Ethel Shepherd (No. 37), Winifred Shepherd (No. 39) and Florence Shepherd (No. 43). The pdf shows which child lived in which and provides other information about their spouses and other matters.
No. 39, owned by Winifred was rented to Ernest Charles Shepherd b. 1905 who married Phyllis Washington, daughter of Arthur John Washington and Thomasina Maria King. Phyllis was born in one of the three cottages which make up The Croft off Mulberry drive today.
Ernest was a second cousin to Frederick Washington and James Washington and in 1957 he moved from 39 to 51 Crown Road when their bungalow was built on land gifted to them by Jack and Thomasina Washington in 1940. Ernest was born in Crown Cottage when it was two cottages. He lived in the right hand one with his mother Florence and father Elisha. Ernest's whole life was spent in Crown Road.
Also photos from 2018.