Five photos of Templars Close taken in October 1987. It was developed in 1972.
Two papers are attached. 'Knights Templars VCH Wheatley Manorial extract' shows the Templar link to Wheatley in 1279 to the Templars of Sanford. The other paper is a general on written by Michael Heaton from various specialist books on the subject. There is a reference to Muslims in England.
Templar Close is referred to in the 1845 Poor Rate survey. Templar's Close is referred to in 1883 in the Oxford Journal on Saturday 11 August 1883, 'Mr Walter Gray has received instructions, and will sell by AUCTION, at the latter end of the present month, or early in September — About Six Acres of eligible BUILDING or GARDEN LAND, well situate in the village of Wheatley, and known as “Stone Pit,” “Templar’s Close" and “Upper Racks”.' The Racks are referred to in the 1813 enclosure award, the 1845 Poor Rates survey, and a house called The Racks in the 1910 Revaluation Survey. The precise location of the Racks is unknown (although oddly the poll books of the 1850s and 1860s shown Elton owning 'The Parsonage House' before Morland House was built but where it was is unknown).