Old House + Brick and Tile Works
The Cooper family had a brick kiln on the site of Old House by 1742. An extract from the Enclosure Award map of 1813 shows the 8-acre holding which they were awarded. The areas shaded pinky-grey were already in separate ownerships so, presumably, Cooper already owned the land between his two awarded plots, which included Rock House, see record 772.
Enlarged from the 1881 map of Wheatley to show the position of the early Brick & Tile Works in the grounds of the Old House.
In 1910, the brickworks had gone with no outbuildings or kilns in the grounds of the house now owned by Miss Hinksman, see also record 763. The 1910 ownerships were as follows:
The lime kiln and quarry (439) was owned and occupied by John Cooper (see Chapter 4 of 'Bygone Wheatley'). Rock House (436) was then owned by the Rose family and occupied by John Cooper’s widow. The stone quarry (463) and land behind (462) was owned by John Crook. The village pit (687) was owned by Wheatley Urban District Council. Quarry House (364) was owned and occupied by Arthur Cullum. The Rose brothers owned and occupied 418 (corner High Street and Church Road, including the long house now 2 Church Road in dark green and The Green (in light blue/green) and 412, and owned and let out 419 and 433. Mrs Dungey was the tenant of 624 as a house and shop, now 11-13 High Street.