76 Church Road
76 Church Road was built by the Stanley family in the 1800s, re-developed in the 2000s. In 1911, Burgoyne Stanley practised as a sick nurse here and there was a sanatorium at the bottom of the garden, see record 712
The premises became the Rose & Lily tearoom in the early 1910s, see write-up taken from 'They Were a Wall'. An extract from the visitors' book from 1913-1928 is on the reference shelf in WVA room. This records that Stanley Spencer, the artist, visited the tearoom several times.
Burgoyne Stanley in the 1911 census was single and living with her sister Sophia Richold. There were no direct descendants to leave the house to. Kelly’s directories 1920 and 1935 have Mabel Mildred Stanley living, presumably in this house, as a shopkeeper.
Extract from the 1939 census shows separate Stanley occupation of 76 Church Road and of The Bungalow. The three are aged, respectively, 77, 90 and 76. There is no trace of Mabel Mildred Stanley in this census.