76 Church Road

  • 2003. 76 Church Road
  • 2018. 76 Church Road
  • Rose & Lily tea garden sign
  • Map showing that a separate residential building from number 76 was on the site and was called The Bungalow
  • Plan of 87 High Street which shows that its extent to the north is now limited, with this land now being owned by 76 Church Road and housing its outdoor swimming pool.
  • Extract from the 1939 census showing separate Stanley occupation of 76 Church Road and of The Bungalow.
  • Datestone recording the buildonmg of the house in 1864 by E Stanley, with major works by T E Stanley in 1977.
Archive Notes:

76 Church Road was built by the Stanley family in the 1800s, re-developed in the 2000s. In 1911, Burgoyne Stanley practised as a sick nurse here and there was a sanatorium at the bottom of the garden, see record 712

The premises became the Rose & Lily tearoom in the early 1910s, see write-up taken from 'They Were a Wall'. An extract from the visitors' book from 1913-1928 is on the reference shelf in WVA room. This records that Stanley Spencer, the artist, visited the tearoom several times.

Burgoyne Stanley in the 1911 census was single and living with her sister Sophia Richold. There were no direct descendants to leave the house to. Kelly’s directories 1920 and 1935 have Mabel Mildred Stanley living, presumably in this house, as a shopkeeper.

Extract from the 1939 census shows separate Stanley occupation of 76 Church Road and of The Bungalow. The three are aged, respectively, 77, 90 and 76. There is no trace of Mabel Mildred Stanley in this census.

Map Address:
Archive Number: