Some facts about Wheatley

Archive Notes:

Some facts about Wheatley compiled in the 1930s by local residents.

This may have many inaccuracies or might not be reliable. However, it has been digitised.

The first part, up to the 15th century, is separately saved and should be compared with the Victoria County History at record 1536.

The name derivation and whether this has anything to do with wheat appears to be at odds with VCH, and with John Fox at record 2620. These latter two sources are favoured, particularly as the wheat derivation is favoured by the Place Name Society.

'Some facts' attached suggest many more Roman coins have been found than suggested elsewhere in the archive, particularly record 1552.

'Some facts' attached suggest that a castle was built during the reign of King Stephen (1135-1154) near the site of the Roman villa and Saxon cemetery, on what is still called Castle Hill. Nothing remains of the building, but the late Revd. C. H. Tomlinson believed that the pump at Bowls down (Bullsdown) Farm drew water from the old castle well. This is not born out by other research, so is in some doubt. Tomlinson's 1907 book cannot be found so, perhaps, has been discredited.

Saxon burials are supported at record 1555.

There is a reference to Lollards at record 1626.

Better information found elsewhere (or below) on Civil War see record 2472, Enclosure Award 2290. public health and the stream 0920, Quarrying 0677, Threshing machine see below, Lock-up (Pound) and Stocks 0679 and 0680, Pound 0790, Railway 0423, Bishop Moss School 1231, Sims Church 1844, St Mary's Church 0703, Congregational Church/URC 1205, Coaching days and routes 2262 (information in 'Some facts' about 'The Tap' is incorrect and the Kings Arms was not a stopping point) , Wheatley Charities 1891 but see below, Ochre 0490, bull-baiting 2481.

Not found elsewhere is reference to the 'first threshing machine was brought to Farm Close, Wheatley, about 1855, and was quite destroyed, as a protest by the villagers and many people from the surrounding district.'

Westbrooke’s Charity. Thomas Westbrooke, by will in 1630, left £15 to the poor of Wheatley. There is only a passing reference to this in record 1891.

Electricity came to Wheatley, February 14th 1929 is unconfirmed but this date not found elsewhere.

Reference to The Royal Oak Inn is now a private house occupied by Miss Pimm, refers to Rose Pym (see 1921 census). Old seats may still be seen in the room nearest Hampton’s alley, should be Frampton's Alley.

Wheatley Brook. This brook is supposed to have been as wide as the existing road (cannot be as coaches drove down High Street) - the level of the road being the bottom of the Culvert. The paths were raised when it was covered in - see houses occupied by Mr. Brazil (lived at Cromwell House) and Mr. Huxter (lived at 109 High Street) which have three steps down to floor level.


Related Items:
Archive Number: