Jessamine Cottage, 1 Church Road
The history of Jessamine Cottage, 1 Church Road including details of owner/occupiers since 1880.
Stone front part early 18th century, rear brick part may have been added using Wheatley bricks in the 19th or even late 18th century.
The lisitng states: Small house. Early C18, extended late C18/early C19. Limestone rubble and ashlar quoins with timber lintels; brick; old plain-tile roof and brick gable stacks. 2-unit plan with parallel range. 2 storeys. 2-window front has 6-panel door with C19 glazed porch to left of centre between 3-light casements and has 2-light casements at first floor. Later rear range in Flemish bond with flared headers has casements under segmental arches.
Owned before 1880 by Richard Rose. After their parents' deaths the ownership and occupation passed in 1910 to Mary Casemore Rose and Annie Rose, the two surviving children of Richard Rose and his wife Mary Ann Rose. Mary Casemore Rose died in 1914, spinster intestate, but her sister, Annie, lived until 1934 when the property was sold to a butcher, John White. Like the Rose’s, the White’s also had spinster daughters and the property stayed in their hands until 1989/90.
So, the Rose and White butcher families had a long period of influence over this property.