Poors Allotments

  • Poors allotment
Archive Notes:

History of the Poors allotments from 1820, when it was gifted by Whalley Smythe Gardiner as allotments for the poor, to 1878 when it was exchanged for the current Howe allotments. The Howe is named after the old Norse for the Hill.

A separate document describes the charitable objectives in 1878:

In providing for such of the poor inhabitants of Wheatley as are not and have not for the previous year been either stockers as aforesaid or occupiers of any of the said allotments or field gardens, the cost and delivery at their dwellings of coals, annually on St. Andrew’s-Day  or the day following, and in providing useful articles of clothing for the aged persons and children among such poor heretofore accustomed to gather and dispose of wild flowers, fruit, and fern from the common. The recipients of such coals and clothing who shall subscribe or pay to the Benefit Fund of the Trustees, or as they shall direct, one penny per week from the first day of -April to the first day of October preceding, shall receive five hundred weight of coal or articles of clothing of the value of five shillings, and any, who with the permission of the Trustees shall subscribe larger or smaller sums, proportionate quantities of coals or clothing.

In the mid 1920s, Rees Leyshon and Henry Avery were appointed in the place of Shepherd and Fowler, and Jennings in the place of Dennis who had resigned.

A revised charity document was agreed in 1974 with principle objectives 'to relieve either generally or individually persons resident in the Parish of Wheatley who are in conditions of need, hardship or distress'.

One of the signatories, Alexander Samuel Lysaght Newington, was the village doctor for approx 5 years before returning to his native Sussex to run the mental health hospital established by his great grandfather.

Related Items:
Archive Number: