Wheatley Primary School from 1811 to 2018

Archive Notes:

Taken from the internet. An abbreviated history of the school from Bishop Moss’s school at Mitcheldene 1811-1858; Edward Elton’s school in Church Road 1858-1983; and the years up to 2018.

It includes reference to the Infant School at the back of Bell Lane, established by the Misses Tyndale of Holton. The reference in Wheatley C.E. Primary School 1858-2008 to the Infants and Juniors being combined in the Church Road school in 1959 almost certainly refers to it coming under the same headmaster that year (Mr Evans and presumably on the retirement of Miss Wren). Bell Lane Infants was still operating in 1969 when there is a photograph of Mrs Mason's class on record 1650 with other information. One of Robin and Myrtle's children went to the Bell Lane in 1967 at the age of 5 and  probably only stayed for a year as they are not in the 1969 photo. The Bell Lane premises were closed for education in 1970 or soon after.

Even after the children had moved to the Church Road school, the Bell Lane premises were used for lunches as there was a shortage of space in Church Road.

Also copy of the booklet 'Wheatley C.E. Primary School 1858-2008'.

Map Address:
Related Items:
Archive Number: