Ladder Hill

  • Ladder Hill. 1950s or 1960s drawing.
  • Ladder Hill. 2009 drawing.
  • Ladder Hill. 2018 Google Earth extract
  • Green Hedges, 20 Ladder Hill, probably built just before, during or just after the Second World War
  • Edale, 64 Ladder Hill. Built in 2012
  • Map of upper Ladder Hill with house names and numbers
  • Map of upper Ladder Hill with house names and numbers and overlay of website map
  • Path to Betty's brook, spring adjacent to Wychwood, 57 Ladder Hill
Archive Notes:

Summary of Robert Avery's talk about 'Growing up on Ladder Hill' complete with two maps which show the development of the houses on this and reference to the Avery sawmill. The three houses to the west of Ladder Hill and just before Windmill Lane are, today, numbers 42, 44 and 46. William Dennis, tenant farmer of Hill Farm in 1910 lived at number 44 with his wife Ada and 4 children - Amy, Warick, Maggie and Marion, before the Trinders took over as tenant.

1950s or 1960s drawing shows the railway station, Avery timber yard, and houses standing from this earlier time, these shown in blue with house names and name of occupier. The house occupied by Clark was the station master's house, later demolished and now Nos 25, 27 and 29 Ladder Hill.

2009 drawing shows the houses in 2009, those in blue were standing previously (with occupiers according to the 1939 Kelly Directory) being Green Hedges (No. 20, probably built just before, during or just after the Second World War, see photo), Nos 55, Elpis (built 1930s now Hill House), Edgehill (1931 and 1939, Albert Avery), Windmills, Windy Ridge (1931 and 1939, James Avery, since re-named as High Ridge) Longside (1931 and 1939, Leonard Avery), Windyridge House, Six Acres, and Coombe House. Also in 1931 and 1939, William Avery lived at The Lodge, and Henry Avery at The Orchard, both in Park Hill - see record 2073 for Kelly Directory ownerships. Houses in red are those more recently added. A more recent map is included with an overlay of the website map showing house number and names in the upper part of Ladder Hill and the start of Windmill Lane. Other names are Wychwood, The Spinney, Edgehill, Earlywood Paddock, Weylands (or Waylands?) and New Place and, on the other side, Hill Top and Dunmarie.

Edale was built as 64 Ladder Hill in 2012. Orchard House is No 66, High Ridge is No. 72, Windyridge is now called High Ridge with 70 Windyridge developed in its garden. Wensleydale House, which has no street number, was developed in the garden of Longside. On the other side of the road, The Spinney is No. 59 and Wychwood No. 57 which is adjacent to Betty's Brook, named after Betty Brown. In Windmill Lane, Windmills has been re-named Windmill House at No. 1 Windmill Lane, two houses have been built in its garden Windmills No. 1a Windmill Lane and 1b Windmill Lane. 3 Windmill Lane was built in 1993 and 5 Windmill Lane is another newcomer

Robert Avery told a wonderful story of the three Miss Briggs who lived in Coombe House at the top of Ladder Hill. They would telephone London stores like Harrods and Fortnum and Mason, to order delicacies for their lunch: asparagus, strawberries and foie gras, for example, and ask to have them put on the train at Paddington to be dropped off at Wheatley. It was the lad-porter’s job to take them up the hill and deliver them to the Misses Briggs in time for lunch! The date of this is not recorded but it may well have been the mod 1920s - they were still living here in 1939.

2018 Google Earth extract shows the development as at that date.

Note the existing walkway down to Avery's Mill, then called Tin Alley.

There is a 1920-1930 two copyright photos, image 1 and image 2 and image 3 from https://www.pictureoxon.com/ of Coombe House, front exterior viewed from an angle

Archive Number: