107 High Street

  • Fleet of vans and bicycles used by Wheatley Post Office, c. 2007
  • Fleet of vans and bicycles used by Wheatley Post Office, c. 2007
  • Vic Churchley painting of 107 High Street
Archive Notes:

Two photographs of the fleet of vans and bicycles used by Wheatley Post Office, and a painting.

107 High Street is an 18th century building. It was a private house until 1926 and one of the the sons of William Avery, the founder of Avery sawmills, lived here until 1926.

Post Office business was carried on in the White Hart from 1650 or so until 1788 when it was transferred to the Crown Inn until 1847, when it then moved to 48 High Street. Dorothy Avery remembered living here until she was about 6. Mr & Mrs Slatter bought it, moving the Post Office from 48 High Street at the bottom of Station Road in 1926. They were there until at least 1946, but it was followed by Mr Coleman in the eraly 1950s until the 196s. Mr. McGowan in September 1967 to September 1982, then Mr. Adams until 1987 when Neil MacCormack (the current postmaster in 2018) took it on. It stayed here until 2017 when MacCormack moved it to 93 High Street adjacent Merry Bells.

Archive Number: