Wheatley Spire

  • David John and Robin Wilson
Archive Notes:

Article from Oxford Mail July 11th 1994 - David John and Robin Wilson hoping to raise cash for the restoration of the 160 foot spire.

However, informed opinion (2019) is that the Headington quarry was worked out by then and that seeking to use stone from it would have been ill-advised. So, the stone may well have come from elsewhere.

The distinctive 150 foot spire of St Mary’s Church is visible from many miles away: walkers approaching the village from the top of Shotover Hill, drivers coming from Thame, and students from Cuddesdon Theological College, recognise the Wheatley landmark instantly. But the spire was not part of the original building. Reverend Elton was not able to raise enough money to finish his building until 1868. It was completed by Mr Holland of Thame, and consecrated by Reverend Edward King in the morning, and by the Bishop of Oxford in the afternoon. The gilded weathercock was restored in 1995.

Map Address:
Related Items:
Archive Number: