1, 3 & 5 High Street
This was a butchery business in the 18th and 19th centuries carried on by the Rose family,. William Rose 'baconman and grocer' bought the property in 1751. The sash window on the High Street frontage probably dates to the first half of the 18th century. There was a slaughter house on the site from 1809 to 1938, and cattle were pastured on the Green awaiting slaughter. Map extract and photo show the site of premises used by the Rose family for a butcher's business. Ernest Alden took over the business in 1911 and it closed in 1938. No. 5 High Street was originally two cottages and was owned early in the 20th century by Joseph Frampton and it was, at one time, a beer house or ale house called the Royal Oak. The alley beside it was known as Frampton’s alley. Nos 1 High Street and 3 High Street are now 2 Church Road.