5 High Street, Sunnybank

  • Sunnybank, 5 High Street (courtesy of Google maps)
Archive Notes:

This was a butchery business carried on by the Rose family, who had acquired this property in 1751, in the 18th and 19th centuries. There was a slaughter house on the site from 1809 to 1938, and cattle were pastured on the Green awaiting slaughter. No. 5 High Street was originally two cottages and was owned early in the 20th century by Joseph Frampton and it was, at one time, a beer house or ale house called the Royal Oak. The alley beside it was known as Frampton’s alley. Nos 1 High Street and 3 High Street are now 2 Church Road. 5 High Street, originally 2 cottages, was sold in November 1928 by Mre M E Buswell to Mr J Allen; in September 1943 to Mr G C Ray; by 1964 was derelict, then bought by G R Nixey; in October 1965 bought by Mr and Mrs J M Prest; in December 1965 byby Miss J M Prest. Also typed notes of Harris' Yard, the land between 15 & 21 High Street

Map Address:
Archive Number: