44 High Street, The Railway Tavern or Railway Inn and view 44-55 High Street

  • 44 High Street, when the Sandpiper
  • Undated photograph showing the Railway Tavern
  • 44 High Street, when The Common Room
  • 2018. 44 High Street,
  • 1988 Sandpiper with staff as shown in the Centenary booklet
  • One side of the old 'Common Room' hanging sign
  • The other side of the old 'Common Room' hanging sign
Archive Notes:

This was probably built in the first half of the 19th century, front much modernised. It became an inn or tavern called ‘The Railway’, not to be confused with the Railway Hotel in Station Road. In the 1871 census Eli Masterman is described as a labourer and beerhouse keeper. He had a large family of eight children. Hall & Co. were the owners at the beginning of this century, certainly in 1907 -1936. They appear to have acquired other local inns at about the same time: The Red Lion, The Crown, The Sun, The Kings Arms and the Cricketers Arms at Littleworth.

In 1983 Richard and Beryl Oliver, the new owners, gave the Railway Tavern a new name, The Sandpiper, and set out to make it attractive for the young people.In 1988 it was changed once more, to The Common Room It was also nick-named the 'Rampant Cat' as the landlord collected stray cats. Like many inns in Wheatley, Hall & Co owned this. Now a private house.

See also 1244

Men at Address:
Archive Number: