49, 51 Crown Road, Crown Cottage
Crown Cottage, 49 Crown Road. Three photos of the cottage, one taken in 1976, one in the early 1980s, and one in 1989.
In 1813, it was one of only three habitations beyond (to the east) of The Crown. The one closest to The Crown had ceased to be inhabited by 1910, leaving the other two, Crown Cottages (in two occupations) and Ambrose Farm. In 1910 these cottages were owned by Hall's Brewery and one was occupied by James Gomm, the other by Elisha Shepherd.
Listed building details state 'Small house. Early C18, extended mid/late C18. Coursed squared limestone rubble with timber lintels; old plain-tile roof with brick gable stacks. 2-unit plan extended at rear. One storey plus attic. 2-window front has door to right of centre , 3-light casement to left, and a single light window to right; 2 gabled 3-light dormers, that to right a C20 insertion. All joinery is C20. Gable wall to left, facing road, has stack. Short rear wing to left and infill range have further casements and dormers. Interior not inspected'.
The garden area to the west of the cottages has since been developed as a house, now 45 Crown Road (in 2018 there was no 47 High Street).
51 Crown Road a bungalow to the other side (east of Crown Cottage) was built and Phyllis Shepherd was living here after moving from the family home (88 Church Road) until she died c. 2005/6. In 2009 this redeveloped into a larger house as shown in the 2018 photo.
No. 39, owned by Winifred was rented to Ernest Charles Shepherd b. 1905 who married Phyllis Washington, daughter of Arthur John Washington and Thomasina Maria King. Phyllis was born in one of the three cottages which make up The Croft off Mulberry drive today.
Ernest, born in the right-hand part of Crown Cottage (when it was two cottages) to parents Florence and Elisha, was a second cousin to Frederick Washington and James Washington and in 1957 he moved from 39 to 51 Crown Road when their bungalow was built on land gifted to them by Jack and Thomasina Washington in 1940. Ernest was born in Crown Cottage when it was two cottages. He lived in the right hand one with his mother Florence and father Elisha. Ernest's whole life was spent in Crown Road.