He and his family had been living in Oxford where his work as a master builder lay and where his home was, so that his name did not appear on the 1919 list. He was born in Wheatley on 19 February 1860, son of Edwin Stanley (who built the house on Church Road which was later The Rose & Lily) and Eliza nee Tombs, both also born in Wheatley. In 1881 the family were living on Church Road and Richard was listed as a stone mason/bricklayer. He was later in the employ of Holton Park and then, mainly to follow employment, went to build and to live at 47 Warwick Street, Iffley (now Iffley Fields). He enlisted in the Territorial Force aged 55, on 14 October 1915. Too old to be sent abroad, he joined the Royal Army Medical Corps and served with 3 Southern General Hospital, RAMC (Territorial Force), Oxford, which was spread across Colleges, the Exam Schools, the Town Hall and Littlemore. He served until at least 1918. He died in 1940 and is buried in Rose Hill Cemetery. See also references to him in the Wheatley in a World at War and Oxfordshire Women chapters. Members of the family returned to live in the village between 1913 and 1930, and again in the mid-1950s.