St Mary's Church

  • 2018
  • 2000
Archive Notes:

3 photos of the church taken in 2004, and one in 2018

The site for the church was acquired by Rev. Elton in 1849. In 1855, the chapelry of Wheatley was separated from the parish of Cuddesdon and the conveyance of glebe land for the burial ground, and the land for the church and burial ground was sold by Elton to the parish.. In January 1856, an agreement was signed for the erection of the new church at a cost of £1,763 16s 6d. The architect was G. E. Street, who raised ‘a good specimen of Early English architecture’. The spire was built by Holland of Thame, and has been described as 'unusual but very effective'. The bell tower has a Russian bell, gifted by Corpus Christi College, Oxford in 1920.The new church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, was consecrated in 1857. It is now Grade 2*.

Map Address:
Related Items:
Archive Number: