The Lock-Up or Round House

Archive Notes:

Photos taken in 1985 by Martin Tims.

This building was a temporary prison built in 1834 in the corner of the parish stone pit, where bull-baiting continued after its suppression elsewhere. It was built of stones out of the parish pit. The date 1834 is quite certain as there are details about it in the minute book of the Vestry, as the body which then ruled the parish was called. The Lock-up was only used as such for six years.

Archive Number: