Map showing rail proposal, 1852

  • Map accompanying 1852 schedule of occupiers and owners of land adjacent proposed (but rejected) rail line
  • Map accompanying 1852 schedule of occupiers and owners of land adjacent proposed (but rejected) rail line, with main ownerships shown
Archive Notes:

Extracts from map of proposed railway line, 1852 (later rejected). Also list of owners and occupiers from which the following is deduced as shown on the coloured-up map. Cooper owned all the quarry and brickworks area including Rock house and Old House, but not the stone pit (now the recreation ground) and lock-up which were owned by the Surveyor of Highways. Rev. Elton had already bought the site for the parsonage and subsequent church and burial ground, but there are a multitude of occupiers of the then ‘garden’ area numbered 39, so was this temporarily let out as an additional allotment? The school was later built on plot 37 owned in 1852 by Thomas Herdfield. The All Souls (College Farm and All Souls Cottage in the High Street) and Hall/Crown Farm are as expected. Rev. Richard Henry Wace owned Ambrose Farm but the Davis family still owned a very small part of this shown in blue.

Map Address:
Related Items:
Archive Number: