Information about The Crown Inn including Wilfrid Sheldon's recollections and Fred Naish's recollections - including visits by the Prince of Wales with the College Beagles.
Crown Inn This dates from 1544. Stage coaches used to travel down High Street from Oxford and Wycombe to the Crown, where there was space for changing of horses and stabling. As was often the case the earlier owners combined the businesses of farming and owning an inn and this was the case here. The Crown Hotel or Crown Inn was located on the coaching route until this changed at the end of the 18th century when the business declined and the Crown Inn built the Crown tap on Church Road accessed from the new London Road route by a lane.
The Crown Inn is understood to have given up its licence in 1938.