Manor farmland sales 1841 and 1846

  • 1841 Press announcement
  • Feb 1846 Press announcement
  • Feb 1846 Sales Particulars 1
  • Feb 1846 Sales Particulars 2
  • Feb 1846 map showing only one Lot sold, shaded pink. It also suggests that the land sold in 1841 had been to Mr Groves and Mrs Holman
  • Map indicating fields sold to Groves and Mrs Holman
  • June 1846 Press announcement
  • June 1846 Particulars
  • June 1846 map of Lots
  • Map indication fields sold to Chillingworth in 1846 (red X) and previous 1841 sales to Goves (black X)
  • 1849 Press re sale of Manor House and 16 acres
  • How the railway divided this plot
Archive Notes:

Paper with maps showing sales in February 1841, and in February and June 1846. Vendor not known in 1841 but purchaser appears to have been J Graves (according to Magdalen College deeds) or Groves , see record 1017 as well as Mrs Holman.

Images are shown separately on this record.

The February 1846 map shows that the land to the east of Ladder Hill had already been sold and suggests that the 1841 sale was to Mr Groves and Mrs Holman.

In the June 1846 sale, Lot 1 was the land adjacent to the Manor House and still in the ownership of this property. It was pasture and has evidence of extant ridge and furrow. Chillingworth, who had bought this in June 1846, offered it for sale in 1849. A further map shows this offered as two Lots after the Railway had been built across this land.

 

Map Address:
Archive Number: