95-97 High Street, Harris' Stores

  • Harris's stores or shop
Archive Notes:

Photo and text.

This was a house built in the 18th century. By 1876 it had become a shop kept by Joshua Harris, who sold millinery, grocery, ironmongery and medicines. It remained in the Harris family until 1967 when Mr. J C Kelly took it over and called it James’s Supermarket. Nos. 95 and 97 were then separated No. 95 remaining a store. The entrance was altered, the garden wall demolished and Barclay's Bank built. Both properties are now houses.

See also 1812 for an aerial photograph of Harris's stores with the large garden, later to become the site of the Bank and then the Post Office

Map Address:
Archive Number: