26 High Street, The Manor House - drawings and photos from 1822

  • The East wing
  • Drawn by John Buckler c. 1822
  • Postcard c. 1940
  • Figures at the front door are thought to be the Edwards family who lived here until about 1907
  • Copy of watercolour c. 1900
  • H W Taunt photograph probably May 1883
  • 1945
  • 2018
Archive Notes:

8 photos of views of the Manor House at various times between 1822 and 1975.

The present building is late 16th century and, after the manorial rights were extinguished, it was let by successive well-to-do owners. It was home to the Archdales from 1568 to 1648, who added the east and west wings. The plaque on the east wing dates 1601. The Church of England bought the Manor in 1851, intending to establish a training school for teachers here, but chose nearby Cuddesdon for the new college. In 1864 the new owner divided it into four cottages and it stayed like this until 1925. But restoration did not take place until Mrs Hassall bought the house in 1939.

Map Address:
Archive Number: