27-29 High Street, The George
The George Inn, also known as Old Inn House, was a large house with an arch into the courtyard & remains of a wooden gallery. Tudor wall paintings uncovered in 1979.
This was a packhorse inn in the 16th century, being on the old coaching route and thus attracting passing trade. After coaches were re-routed along the London Road, it closed as an inn. About 1830, it was converted into three tenements and remained so until 1959 when it was converted to two homes. The stable block at the rear of the property has long-since disappeared.
At one stage it traded as George Gallery.