11 High Street

  • 11-13 High Street. Mrs Dungey outside her grocers shop with sons Bob and Bernard. Both went to Australia
  • 2003
Archive Notes:

Photo of Mrs Dungey outside her grocer's shop in 1910 with sons Bob and Bernard, both went to Australia. Also photo of house in 2003.

Believed to have been built in 1770. This property traded as two shops, one being used by Mitchell of Mitcheldene. By 1900, this shop was in the hands of the Dungey family as a general store ‘always open up to midnight’. The other shop belonged to Joseph Frampton who was a farmer, cooper and quarryman and who owned the quarry pits where the recreation ground and Templars Close now stand. He sold wooden buckets and other such items and was one of the last to wear a smock for which Wheatley was well-known.

Map Address:
Related Items:
Men at Address:
Archive Number: