The Green. Poor picture (not reproduced) of The Green in 1955 and the entry to The Cottage (number 6 High Street).
This was more of a ‘green’ (area) than a traditional village green. The plot extended from High Street (where two relatively new houses were developed) through to a considerable frontage on Littleworth Road (houses developed here at the same time). In the coaching days, coaches went across the green on their way to Shotover Hill. It is believed that the remainder of the High Street westwards was not then a roadway with the buildings without street frontage today then being part of the Rose butchery business and slaughter house, which used the Green for the cattle before slaughter. See 1284 for a more detailed explanation.