1, 3 & 5 High Street
This was a butchery business carried on by the Rose family, who had acquired this property in 1751, in the 18th and 19th centuries. There was a slaughter house on the site from 1809 to 1938, and cattle were pastured on the Green awaiting slaughter. No. 5 High Street was originally two cottages and was owned early in the 20th century by Joseph Frampton and it was, at one time, a beer house or ale house called the Royal Oak. The alley beside it was known as Frampton’s alley. Nos 1 High Street and 3 High Street are now 2 Church Road.