High Street, Wheatley War Memorial

  • The original Memorial unveiled June 15 1921 and taken down in 1974
  • On Remembrance Day 1974 the new war memorial was dedicated
Archive Notes:

Newspaper (Oxford Journal) articles on the unveiling of the War Memorial on June 15 1921, with two photos. Also newspaper report from Oxford Mail 1974.

Photo showing the two war memorials before the removal of the old one. On Remembrance Day 1974 the new war memorial was dedicated by the Bishop of Dorchester, the Rt. Rev. Peter Walker. It bears the inscription ‘This memorial, once at Magdalen College, commemorates the inhabitants of Wheatley who gave their lives in two world wars. Shortly after this, the crumbling old memorial was removed & the names of those who died placed in the outside wall of St Mary’s porch.

See also 1274

Archive Number: