Holloway Road & 43-55 High Street

  • 1935 showing shops, Walde at 47 High Street this side of Holloway Road, then a narrow lane; and 51, name not discernible. Later Walde sols cameras, wool and also ran a taxi service from here.
  • 1985 after road widening and when Green had the shop at 47 High Street
  • 1985 after road widening and when Green had the shop at 47 High Street
  • 2018 after further repairs following the car collision
  • Planning application for Gostick Stores of the buildings previously 51-53 High Street (now 53 High Street) believed to be from 1972. This clearly shows the extent of the previous buildings and that the carriageway width (including pavements) was originally half what is has since become.
  • Floor plans for Gostick re-development of 51-53 High Street.
  • OS map showing the original width of Holloway Road before the 1970s re-development.
  • Looking up Holloway Road when a narrow lane and before widening in the 1970s. Planning permission for widening was granted in September 1973
  • 1977 when run by Green
  • Green's shop, probably 1970s
Archive Notes:

Photos taken in c 1935 and 1985 showing changes. At 47 High Street, Mrs Life had had a draper's shop, followed by Dora Pope with a grocery shop. Then by 1935, Walde had taken this over with the photo showing a general stores. Later Walde sold photographic items, wool and had a taxi service. In 1966 the taxi service was sold to Ray Bushnell who kept the name Walde, but they were never partners. In the 1980s, it was a shop run by J M and J F Green, as shown also in the Jubilee boklet of 1977.

51 High Street and 53 High Street Gostick Stores (later owned and run by Percy Blake and Mary Blake as well as their shop on the site of the Old Chequers 113-115 High Street). Comparison between the 1935 and 1985 photos shows clearly that the two earlier buildings had been considerably adapted and shortened (by some 3.75 metres) in order to facilitate the widening of Holloway Road, as per the planning application drawing for Gostick Stores of the buildings previously 51-53 High Street (now 53 High Street) believed to be from 1972. This clearly shows the extent of the previous buildings and that the carriageway width (including pavements) was originally half what is has since become. The new building only had one chimney at the east end. In 2000, the ground floor was vacant, but the upstairs consisted of 4 poor-quality rooms in a single flat, occupied by Tamsin Ingle. The earthquake at Dudley in 2000 dislodged the window overlooking Holloway Road. In 2003, a new owner bought this and set out to renovate the first floor. However, the stonework collapsed at the eastern end of the building, as can be seen from the new stonework evident in the 2018 photo. In 2018, a car ran down Station Road out of control and into the building requiring yet more stone repair work. The building is now several flats on two levels.

Men at Address:
Archive Number: