48 High Street

  • Mrs Russell, postmistress circa 1890
  • As Barclays Bank
  • Thatch being removed
  • As Yeats shop
  • Shop closed and for sale in 2000
  • 2018
  • 1988, trading as Lavells as shown in the Centenary booklet
  • As Yeats shop, date not known
Archive Notes:

Once a thatched cottage, this building has been much altered and extended. In 1847 it was the Post Office run by Mr Lovelock, who was also the registrar of births, marriages and deaths. He ran a general shop selling groceries and drapery. The next postmaster was John Russell and was succeeded on his death by his wife. As her photograph shows, she modelled herself in appearance on Queen Victoria. The shop, fronting the High Street became Barclay’s Bank in about 1926. They occupied either the High Street frontage or the return in Station Road until 1972 when the bank moved into new single-storey premises to the right of Merry Bells. Since then it has had several more changes being divided into a cobblers, a butchers and a newsagents in 1934, with a photograph showing it as Yeats, having previously traded as Phipps. In 1988 it traded as Lavells Newsagents and then as Martins Newsagents. The business ceased trading in 2000, reportedly due, apparently, to an armed robbery which traumatised the owner so much that he decided not to carry on. It is once more a private house.

Map Address:
Archive Number: