40-55 High Street - postcards

  • Looking west with the Railway Inn on the left (south) and 'Walde' shop on the right. Possibly, Peter Bradbury (son of Ronald Bradbury) is trying to fly his kite.
  • North side looking east with Bradbury's shop at 45 High Street, a cafe in the left-hand side of 47 High Street.
  • 1988 as shown in the Centenary booklet, Business Systems was at 45a High Street (behind 45 High Street)
Archive Notes:

Copies of two postcards of the High Street, and one of 45a High Street

One shows 45 High Street occupied by Bradbury. This was brick-built in 1907 with a shop at ground floor level, and the original owner occupier was a barber, George Lincoln English. His married daughter, Elsie Bradbury, inherited the house when George Lincoln English died in 1945. Her husband, Ronald Bradbury, opened the hardware shop there in 1947-8. The house was then called 'Midway'. In 1957 the Scott-Dows bought the shop and put it in their name, and it was still trading under this name in 1977. a health and relaxation clinic in 2003, and in 2018 this was Nail Art and Beauty. See also record 1249. Behind it at 45a High Street in 1988 was Business Systems and, in 2018, it was Wheatley Complementary Therapy Clinic

The left part of 47 High Street was a café. This was before Holloway Road was widened. Date not known

Men at Address:
Archive Number: